Distance Education in India – Today two terms which are being used inter-changeably are ‘Open Learning’ and ‘Distance Education’ and the often combined to be known as Open and Distance Learning, [ODL]. Open learning is a philosophy and Distance Education is the mode used for translating it into reality as the two are complementary to each other.
Distance Education is an Umbrella term which helps us to understand all the teaching and learning arrangements in which the learner and the teacher are separated by space and time. In fact, it is a mode of delivering information and education to learners who are not physically present in the classroom. The transaction of the curriculum is affected by means of specially prepared materials, [self-study, learning materials] which are delivered to the learners at their doorsteps, through various media such as:
The communication between the teachers and the learners is mainly through electronic media such as:
- Interactive radio Counselling
- Chat Sessions
Distance Education offers three modes of learning, which are:
- Distance Learning
Open and Distance Learning occupies a special place in Indian higher education system because of its major contribution in enhancing the gross enrolment ratio and democratization of higher education to large segments of India population particularly to reach out the unreached and to meet the demands of lifelong learning which must become more of a necessity in the knowledge society.
The major objectives of DE system are:
- To democratize higher education to large segments of the population, the disadvantaged groups such as those living in remote and rural areas, working people, women etc.
- To provide an innovative system of university-level education which is both flexible and open in terms of methods and pace of learning; combination of courses, eligibility for enrolment, age of entry, conduct of examination and implementation of the programmes of study;
- To provide an opportunity for up-gradation of skills and qualifications;
- To develop education as a lifelong activity to enable persons to update their knowledge or acquire knowledge in new areas.
- Institute of Management Studies, [IMT] Ghaziabad
- Symbiosis Centre for Distance Learning, [SCDL] Pune
- Indira Gandhi National Open University, [IGNOU]
- ICFAI University
- Sikkim Manipal University, [SMU]
- Annamalai University
- Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, [NMIMS]
- Prin. L. N Welingkar Institute of Management
- Amity University
- Lovely Professional University
Manipal University is also one of the best university for perusing a career in distance MBA. Every year at the month of April, an examination is being conducted as MU OET 2018, through which students can enter the university. For more Information in university and their curriculums, go to getmyuni.com.